Friday, May 25, 2012

Notes From the Gym

Let's be honest, when you are an overweight girl, the gym is not a friendly place.  In fact, it can be downright scary.  When I first began working out, I was lucky enough to go to The Fire, a very small gym that only had small group and personal training, with trainers who kicked my ass, helped me get in shape while inspiring me with tough love, and who helped me learn my way around a gym so I could work-out on my own.

I miss it and I miss my trainers.  Tremendously.  I have tried to recreate a smidgen of what I had, but it hasn't really worked out so well, and I've gotten to a point where I've realized I need to take on that role of trainer for myself.

The gym I go to now is huge, as in it used to be a grocery store and is the biggest of it's kind to date.  Most people who work out there are in crazy-good shape--huge muscley guys, and women who wear those teensy short shorts, that are the size of Derby Skinz, but you know, with no tights underneath.  Needless to say, this makes for some really interesting people watching.

My favorite are the girls (who usually come in pairs) who you can tell don't really workout in a gym, ever.  They are skinny and lacking muscle and I notice them because they wear outfits that amuse me (such as pants with Victoria's Secret's PINK bedazzled across their ass) and then spend the majority of time walking around giggling, while not really doing much in terms of working out.  And when they do pick up weights, they don't actually weigh much, and they usually just do a few reps before returning to walking around and giggling again.

Don't these just scream, "I'm ready to workout and sweat my ass off?"






























It sounds funny, but I like seeing other overweight women (and men) there.  I always cheer silently for them (in my head).  I've also noticed that they are usually found on cardio machines, and not on weight machines or in the free weights.  It makes me want to show them how to use them, because once you know how, they are not so intimidating. Well, the free weight area is still a little intimidating to me, but I push past my fears and insecurities because free weights for arms give me a Much better workout than machines. 

There are also people at my gym who inspire me.  There is a girl I have seen from time to time who basically has the body I want.  She's not tiny, but she's fit and she's strong, with awesome muscle in her legs.  Then there's the muscley, in-shape guy in his late 40s/early 50s who I see almost every time I go, who is missing a leg.  It doesn't seem to hinder him or his workout.  He's pretty much a poster child to me, screaming in my head 'If I can do it, why can't you?!'  So, in answer to that question, I think it means I'm headed to the gym now.





No comments:

Post a Comment