Thursday, May 24, 2012

Week 1

So, I'm a week into my 40 in 4 plan, and overall I've been doing pretty good.  I lost about 3 pounds, I've followed through every day on eating clean, weight trained 5 days this week and gotten in some form of cardio 5 days as well. 

Honestly, I was hoping to lose more.  In the past, Week 1 has always been the biggest in terms of weight loss.  Though I have also had some stressors this week that I think are partially responsible for this, including an ER visit for my partner, and me being really down on myself in derby. 

With that being said, some good things came from the week as well.  My mom and I went out to lunch at a place called Leafy Greens Cafe, a vegan, raw foods restaurant.  My mom had gone the week before and couldn't stop talking about how good it was, claiming how the 'pizza' with walnut and hemp seed crust topped with cashew hummus really tasted like pizza .  I was skeptical.  I've never really had much raw food.  But we went, and I got to try several things, including both soups, the pizza, and a hummus and greens sandwich on onion 'bread'.  Everything was delicious!  I couldn't believe that none of this was actually cooked.  The pineapple-cucumber gazpacho could have been dessert.  The 'pizza' somehow actually tasted like pizza!  The texture was not the same, but the taste was.  And the onion 'bread' was not actually bread at all, more like dehydrated onions and other stuff shaped like a wrap.  We also had kale chips on the side, which were the tastiest kale chips I have ever had.
Raw pizza with cashew hummus and a walnut and hemp seed crust

My mom loved the food so much that she hired a lady who works there to come and teach us how to make some of these items tomorrow, including the onion 'bread.'  I can't wait!

We also decided to make some kale chips on our own.  They were ridiculously easy to make and turned out delicious.  Basically you take kale and get rid of the stalks, add a tablespoon of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of braggs or some other soy sauce alternative, a sprinkle of garlic salt, and mix it around until each bit of the kale has a nice covering, add a shit-ton of nutritional yeast, and then put it in a dehydrator for a few hours.  I'm not much of a cook, so I was really quite proud of myself for making these, and having them turn out so tasty. 

I'm leaving for Seattle in about a week to play Rat City!, Oly Rollers!, and Jet City.  Leading up to my flight, I have derby practice 6 out of the 8 days.  I'm planning to get in at least 2 leg workouts without making any part of my legs too sore to skate effectively.  (This can be hard for me since my legs are my favorite body part to work out, because they are strong, kinda man-strong, and therefore really fun to workout and push to my limits.  Unfortunately, pushing my limits also means that awesome post-workout soreness, which can hinder my skating.)  I'd also like to lose a few more pounds and move down into the next group of tens on the scale.  But honestly, I would settle for looking just a wee bit better in pictures of me in my unforgiving uniform.



No comments:

Post a Comment